Restoration of the Statues of the Virtues

May 2018

Venezia – Italia

Thanks to the funding provided by sisters Marina and Susanna Sent, the statues of the Virtues, previously situated on the central balcony of the Doge’s Palace overlooking St Mark’s Basin, have been restored to their former splendour.

The statues were completed between 1400 and 1404 by the Venetian sculptors and architects Pierpaolo and Jacobello Dalle Masegne. After meticulous restoration work carried out between 2007 and 2009, the works are now on display on the ground floor of the Museo dell’Opera, a new museum dedicated to the building of the Doge’s Palace.

To mark the completion of the first statue’s restoration (Fortitude), the Sent sisters have designed and produced a fused-glass brooch. This shield-shaped brooch demonstrates their ability to transform history into modern objects through the language of glass: “Symbols of the past as inspiration for contemporary design”.

Photos of the statue: Francesco Barasciutti